- Getting Started
- Install Jetpack
- Using the Customizer
- Social Icon Menu
- Creating Galleries
- Contact Page
- Post Styles
Once you’ve activated Candid, you’ll be forwarded to the Getting Started page (Appearance → Getting Started). Here, you can view the help file, browse frequently asked questions, and activate your theme’s license to enable Typekit fonts and theme updates.
We strongly recommend that you add your theme’s license key in the Getting Started page. By adding your key, you activate the beautiful Typekit fonts we’ve added for you as well as seamless theme updates. With theme updates enabled, you’ll get a notification in your dashboard whenever there is an update available. You can then update right in your WordPress dashboard, keeping your site healthy and secure.
You can find your theme’s license key by signing in to your Array dashboard and visiting the Downloads page. Click the View License link on your theme to view the license key. Copy this key and enter it into the sidebar of your Getting Started page and click the Activate License button. Your license key should now be active!
Jetpack is a free WordPress plugin that provides various features and enhancements to your WordPress site. Candid utilizes several features of Jetpack, most importantly the Portfolio, and must be installed to get the most out of your theme.
- Install Jetpack by going to Plugins → Add New and search for “Jetpack”. Install and activate the plugin.
- After activating Jetpack, you will be asked to connect to WordPress.com to enable the Jetpack features. Click the connect button and log in to a WordPress.com account to authorize the Jetpack connection.
- If you don’t yet have a WordPress.com account, you can quickly create one after clicking the connect button. This will allow you to use Jetpack for Candid or any other theme in the future.
Once installed, activated, and connected to WordPress.com, you can visit the Jetpack settings page, which is now available at the top of your admin menu. You will need to activate the following Jetpack features by clicking Settings tab at the top of the page, and clicking the Activate link next to each feature. For the best performance, we recommend deactivating all Jetpack features by default and only activating the ones you want.
- Carousel – The Carousel adds a beautiful lightbox carousel to your gallery images. Learn more about the Carousel
- Infinite Scroll – Infinite Scroll is a feature that loads the next set of posts via a More Posts button, without reloading the page. Candid’s main blog supports Infinite Scroll. Learn more about Infinite Scroll.
- Tiled Galleries – Add a tiled or square mosaic gallery to your projects with the Tiled Galleries feature. Learn more about Galleries.
Using the Theme Customizer
Candid is customizable via the WordPress customizer. Here, you can change the theme’s options and add widgets to your sidebar. To access the theme customizer, click Appearance → Customize in the WordPress admin menu.
- Homepage Intro Title: Add a large intro title above the posts on your homepage.
- Homepage Intro Text: Add intro text above the posts on your homepage.
- Grid Layout: Customize the number of columns to display on your post layout. You can choose from a one, two, or three column grid.
- Footer Tagline: Customize the text in your footer tagline.
Site Title, Tagline & Logo
- Site Title & Tagline: By default your site will display a site title and tagline, which can be customized here. You also have the option to hide the site title and tagline if you’d rather use your own logo image.
- Logo: Upload your own logo to use in place of your site’s title and tagline.
Social Icon Menu
Create a social icon menu in your footer to let visitors know where to find you.
- To add a social icon menu, go to Appearance → Menus.
- On the left side of the Menu page, click the Links menu item to add to your social links.
- Add the URL for each of your social profiles and a label for the link. Candid will detect which site you are linking to and display a matching graphic. Icons are supported for the following sites: Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo, Dribbble, Github, Flickr, Codepen, Behance, Dropbox, Pinterest, Reddit, Soundcloud, Spotify, WordPress, LinkedIn, Stack Overflow, RSS and Email.
- Now that you have the menu created, you need to assign it to the footer in the Theme Locations section
- Save the menu when finished.
Candid is best used when paired with great content and beautiful photography. This theme takes advantage of WordPress’s built in galleries as well as some extra galleries provided by the Jetpack plugin (see above for installation). Enable the extra Tiled Galleries and Carousel by going to Jetpack > Settings. Once you’ve done that, you’ll notice you have a few new gallery types available when creating a gallery.
The gallery most used throughout the Candid demo is Tiled Mosaic. This gallery generates a unique layout based on your image order and orientation. The effect is a nice, neat dynamic grid. Arranging your images can change the layout, so feel free to move your images around to get the layout you want. You can also choose to randomize your images to generate a unique layout upon each viewing.
If you enabled the Carousel feature in Jetpack, the images in your gallery will open in a lightbox for larger viewing.
Finding Good Photos
Finding good photos for your site can be tough and expensive, but we’ve got a few sites that offer really nice photography for free. Feel free to browse these sites and find some photos that highlight your content.
The Contact Page uses the WPForms Lite plugin, which can grab for free on the WordPress plugin repository. Once installed, you’ll see there is a WPForms link in the left hand sidebar of your WordPress admin.
- If you haven’t already, create a new page called Contact.
- Go to the WPForms menu on the left admin menu to configure your contact form. The form creation process is pretty simple, but you can check out the WPForms documentation here for help and tips.
- After you’ve configured and saved your contact form, you will be given a shortcode like this: [wpforms id="161894"]. Copy your shortcode. We’ll use this to add the form to our Contact page.
- Now head back to your Contact page. Paste the shortcode that you copied into the body of the post. Update the post. You should now see the form on the contact page.
The widget section of Candid is in the sidebar of posts and pages (excluding the homepage or post archive pages). Add widgets to the sidebar by going to Appearance > Widgets and adding widgets to the Sidebar panel.
Candid comes with a few custom element styles, which are used to easily add extra styling to your WordPress posts.
Pull quotes are similar to block quotes, but are reserved for less text. See Candid’s Style Guide to see the suggested usage. To use pull quotes you can add a class of pull-left or pull-right to your content. See an example below.
<span class="pull-right">This text will be pulled right.</span>
Text highlight simply adds a yellow background to your text, useful for in-paragraph emphasis. To use the highlight style, you can add a class of highlight to your content. See an example below.
<span class="highlight">This text will be highlighted.</span>