How to Use WPForms to Add Beautiful Forms to Your WordPress Website
Adding stylish and user-friendly forms to your WordPress website is a must if you want a site that converts. WPForms integrates perfectly with all Array themes, and is extremely quick and easy to set up on your website. This makes it an ideal solution for anyone looking for a free and effective WordPress forms plugin.
In this article, we will discuss the different features WPForms has to offer, and consider its user experience, which it is renowned for. We will then look at how to use WPForms to create and embed contact forms and newsletter subscription forms. We will also consider the benefits of upgrading to one of the premium plans that WPForms offers, so you can access features like accepting payments on your WordPress website. Let’s get started…
How to Use WPForms: An Introduction
WPForms is a powerful and extremely user-friendly WordPress plugin that will enable you to add contact forms, newsletter subscription forms, and other useful form types.
This impressive plugin provides a number of pre-built templates alongside a drag-and-drop form builder, so you can quickly and easily create beautiful and optimized forms without having to touch a line of code. Forms can then be embedded into blog posts, pages, sidebar widgets, and footers, to name a few options.
Let’s take a look at some more main features…
- 100% Mobile Responsive
- Numerous Form Fields to Select From
- Easy Embed with a Pre-Generated Shortcode
- Instant Notifications of Form Submissions
- Confirmation Emails Sent to Users
WPForms is a free plugin, but you can also upgrade to one of the Pro plans. Premium features include a wide assortment of form templates, MailChimp and Aweber integration, payment and donation collections via PayPal and Stripe, geolocation data, and much more.
For this article, we will mainly focus on how to use WPForms Lite – the free version of WPForms. This free plugin can be found in the WordPress Repository, so check out exactly what it offers before installing it on your WordPress website.
Now we know a bit about what this solution has to offer, let’s next have a look at how to use WPForms, starting with how to install this plugin…
How to Install WPForms
As mentioned earlier, WPForms integrates with all Array themes, ensuring that the forms work on your website. To install the WPForms plugin, open your WordPress dashboard and select Plugins > Add New from the menu.
Type Contact Form by WPForms into Search, and then, when WPForms is displayed, click Install > Activate.
WPForms will now be installed on your website and you will find a WPForms menu has been added to your WordPress dashboard.
Creating a Contact Form
Once you have installed the WPForms plugin, you can quickly and easily create a contact form for your website using the intuitive form builder. Here’s an example of a basic contact form created with WPForms…
To get started, select WPForms > Add New from your WordPress menu.
Under Setup, you will now need to give your form a name, and select the type of form you would like to create. WPForms Lite provides three free form templates including…
- Contact Form
- Newsletter Signup Form
- Suggestion Form
To design a contact form, select Create a Simple Contact Form. Alternatively, you can select Create a Blank Form which will enable you to design a form from scratch, again using the drag and drop form builder.
Select the Fields
The next step is to select the appropriate fields for your contact form. To do so, under Fields > Add Fields, simply click, drag, and drop the fields would like displayed on your contact form onto the right-hand side of the page.
Under the Field Options tab, you can configure the options and settings of each field, altering the field labels and description. Fields can also be rearranged in order on the page. As you can see, WPForms enables you to easily customize your contact form to suit your site’s needs.
Modify the Settings
Under the Settings tab, you will find three sections: General, Notifications, and Confirmation. Let’s take a look at what each of these offers…
- General – Here you can alter the name and description of the form, which can be useful if you are using multiple forms on your site. Importantly, you can also customize the submit button, ensuring your contact form uses the same brand voice as the rest of your content.
- Notifications – WPForms allows you to receive automatic notifications when a contact form is submitted. You can modify the notification settings, including email address and email details, as well as disabling notifications altogether.
- Confirmation – This is the confirmation message your users will see after they have submitted the contact form. Under Confirmation, you can choose to send users to a page of your website, a specific URL, or display a message. WPForms provides a pre-written message you can use, or you can write your own.
Once you have customized your contact form’s fields and settings, click the Save button located in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then exit the form builder.
Embedding a Contact Form
Now your form has been created, all that is left to do is to embed it into your WordPress website. To do so, open the page or post where you would like your contact form displayed.
Click into the WordPress page editor, and then click on Add Form.
From the WPForms popup, you can now select the appropriate form you would like to embed in the page.
Once the contact form shortcode has been added into the WordPress page editor, Preview the page. Then, if you are happy with your contact form, select Publish.
Don’t forget to now open your website on the front end and fill out and submit a contact form. This is a good check to ensure all aspects of the form are working and you are receiving notifications of submissions.
Creating a Newsletter Subscription Form
Creating a newsletter subscription form follows a very similar process to that of a contact form. Let’s take a look…
Select WPForms > Add New from your WordPress dashboard. Then give your new form a name and then select Create a Newsletter Signup Form.
The form builder will now present the same options as that of a contact form. Select the Fields you would like on your newsletter subscription form, then modify the Settings to ensure you receive notifications to the correct email, and an appropriate confirmation message is shown to subscribers.
Connecting your website signup forms to an email service provider is best practice for those looking to stay in regular contact with their email following. Unfortunately, the free version of WPForms only offers email integration with Constant Contact, a premium service. If you want to connect your site with the free mail provider MailChimp, or the popular platform AWeber, then you will need to upgrade WPForms to a premium plan.
Once you have completed your newsletter signup form, select Save. You can then embed the form into any post, page, or widget area using the pre-generated shortcode (as previously discussed for a contact form).
Upgrade to Pro?
Although the free version of WPForms enables you to easily create stylish and well-optimized forms using the plugin’s user-friendly page builder, upgrading to the Pro version of WPForms will enable you to access this solution’s advanced functionality. This includes…
- Form Templates – The premium plans provide a range of form templates for all industries and occasions, so you don’t have to create each new form from scratch.
- Taking Payments – Create online order, payment, and donation forms, and integrate them with PayPal Standard or Stripe to start accepting money via your website.
- File Uploads – Allow users to upload files with their form submission. This will enable you to collect any necessary info that you may need. Files could include images, video, PDFs, or Word documents.
- Conditional Logic – Control how your form looks and interacts using conditional logic. Forms will dynamically change based on user selections, showing or omitting fields and sections.
- Entry Management – All forms can be accessed and managed from inside your WordPress dashboard.
WPForms offers four premium plans to choose from, with the Basic plan starting at just $49 a year.
Final Thoughts on How to Use WPForms
As you can see, WPForms Pro is a feature-rich solution. However, the free version, WPForms Lite, will also enable you to design beautiful and effective forms that convert. And combined with the extremely intuitive form builder, you will be able to quickly create a form that meets the needs of your website and audience. So, now you know how to use WPForms, are you ready to install it?
Any questions on how to use WPForms and how to integrate it with an Array theme? Please ask away in the comments below…