Liftoff! Atomic Blocks WordPress theme now available at WordPress.org!
When we launched the Atomic Blocks plugin, we also launched a Gutenberg-ready WordPress theme with it. The theme and plugin combo made it really easy for everyone to get started with Gutenberg. The theme was downloaded thousands of times along with the plugin, and we got some really great feedback to help refine and improve it.
Since then, we’ve been hard at work getting it ready for an even wider release on the official WordPress.org repository. After working with the theme review team over the past few weeks, the Atomic Blocks theme is officially live! You can now download the theme on the WordPress theme repository.
What’s new in the theme
We’ve kept the simplicity and refined design of the Atomic Blocks theme while improving everything under the hood. Here are just a few of the things we’ve improved since the last version:
- Added search toggle to header menu (can be turned off via settings)
- Optimized images and other resources
- Improved Getting Started dashboard
- Improved mobile styles and performance
- Improved support for core Gutenberg blocks
Upgrading to the new version
There were a few changes made to the theme that will require you to install the new version fresh from WordPress.org. Here are the steps you need to follow to get the new version.
- Go to Appearance > Themes in your WP dashboard and click the Add New button at the top of the page.
- Search for “Atomic Blocks” in the search field.
- Click the Install button once you find the Atomic Blocks theme.
- Once installed, click the Activate button.
- After the theme is activated, you’ll be returned to the Themes page. From here, you can delete the old, deactivated theme titled “Atomic Blocks Theme.”
After you update, be sure to check out your site and make sure everything looks good. In some cases, you may have to tweak a few of your Customizer settings, but all of your posts and pages will be just how you left them.
Now that the theme is available to a wider audience on WordPress.org, we’re hoping even more people will start using Gutenberg and start learning the ropes of the new editor. A theme like this one lets you see how powerful the Gutenberg editor is! We’ll continue to collect feedback and refine the theme and add even more support for Gutenberg as it’s released.
Let us know what you think of the theme in the comments and please send us some samples of sites you’ve built with the theme! We’d love to see what’s being created out there.